GENSEN or GEN Senegal is the Senegalese national branch of the Global Ecovillage Network (GEN) a United Nations ECOSOC NGO. Our shared headquarters (lower right picture) is at the corner of Avenue Seydina Limamou Laye (ex route de l'Aéroport) and Avenue Seydina Issa Rouhou Laye (ex Route des Cimetières musulmans) in the Ouest Foire neighborhood of the Commune of Yoff. It is is home to:
- The central offices of the network of 45 member ecovillages
- NGO development projects and research activities that serve the ecovillages directly.
- Partnership with NGOs, government ministries, and community-based organizations to support the provide education and support to member eco-villages
GENSEN’s closest partner, the Earth Rights Eco-Village (EREV) Institute (www.erevi.org) is a center of higher education that services the ecovillage network and provides educational programs such as:
* A study abroad program in sustainable development that enrolls both American and Senegalese students, in partnership with the Living Routes Program and accredited by the University of Massachusetts, Amherst
* Courses in Ecovillage Design Education (EDE), and
* Training for the ecovillages in sustainable and community technologies
Although registered in Senegal as an Association, GENSEN operated until June 2007 under the NGO umbrella of CRESP Senegal. Read more about our history and origins and our division into two organzations.